Monday, May 15, 2006

A brief intro before I jump in with both feet......

Shortly after my 50th birthday last fall, I finally realized what I wanted to be when I grew up. I've always loved to teach, and I've always loved animals; after having some success doing dog training and cat and dog behavioral counseling on a part time basis, I've decided to see if I can make a living at it. I also want to retail healthy homemade cat and dog treats, specialty handling equipment, other cat and dog specialty items, plus herbs, herbal salves and ointments, and my cold-process soap. I bought my first house in January, a quirky little one-bedroom house "out in the country" with an acre of land and a large pole barn perfect for a small retail shop/consultation office on one side and a training center on the other.

I've been busy these last months getting moved in and settled, getting part of the yard fenced for the dogs, preparing the raised-bed herb garden and the vegetable garden for planting once the threat of frost is past, starting vegetables and flower seedlings indoors, pruning roses and cleaning up the flower beds, learning to make mosaic (and plain) stepping stones, filling existing bird feeders and adding a thistle feeder, two hummingbird feeders, a small window feeder ("cat TV"), and an oriole feeder. (I don't know whether or not I'll ever see an oriole, but I know for sure I wouldn't see one if I didn't have a feeder!) I'm continuing to teach my "household obedience" dog classes through parks and rec programs while I work on developing the clientele for my new business; I'm hoping to be able to offer a full schedule of dog classes at my facility in the fall.

And here we go...........

No comments: