Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Empty Nest Syndrome

My baby birds have flown away. For three days they sat perched on the rim of the nest - and on top of each other - without flying. Yesterday morning, I put the dogs out in the yard and closed the gate to the patio. I headed back into the house, walking beneath the nest on the way. As I got a step past the nest there was a big whoooosh! accompanied by a wild fluttering of wings around my head, and then all the babies were flying out into the yard, swooping around in ever-increasing circles until they took off in different directions. A couple flew back and perched on the fence briefly, cocked their heads at me and dipped their tails a couple of times as if to say farewell, then flew off. I haven't seen any of the family since.

I'm so glad they made it! I really enjoyed waiting for the clutch to hatch, and then watching them grow. And I hope the parents and the offspring come back next year to breed.

No comments: