Monday, July 10, 2006

A Green Explosion

We had a line of strong thunderstorms, accompanied by heavy rain, blow through here last night. When I woke up this morning and looked out the window into the garden, I was shocked. Plants practically doubled in size overnight! The Cherokee Purple had gotten top-heavy and was leaning over a little, so I went out to tie it to the stakes I put in when I planted it. It's got a dozen flowers on it! I wonder how long it takes from flower to fruit? Some of the other tomato plants are getting big, too, with nice thick stems and lots of foliage. I had to tie one of them to a stake, too. They've only been in the ground 3 weeks, I can't believe how big they've gotten during that time! The zucchini plants got huge overnight, as did the cucumbers. The watermelon is coming along nicely, and the pumpkins I planted a couple of weeks ago are growing like crazy. (I planted them in the mound of the sod clumps I pulled out when preparing the garden. I wasn't sure the mound had compacted enough for roots to take hold, but I guess they have.)

We're supposed to get more rain on Wednesday. Until this summer, I'd have been unhappy with any forecast calling for rain. Not any more! When I see rain in the forecast, I smile with anticipation of the growth it'll bring to my garden.

The hardware store just called, my lawnmower's fixed. I've already done my errand-running for the day, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

No comments: