Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Babies, Babies, Everywhere

As I was sitting in the bathroom with Irenie I looked out onto the patio and saw a baby bird doing little hops in place on the dirt right at the edge of the concrete slab of the covered area. It was one of the kingbird babies and he'd fallen out of the nest. I flew through the house and out onto the patio, because I knew Nellie was there, she jumps the fence from the yard into the patio. I don't know how she missed him, except to guess that she was sleeping when he fell out and didn't hear him. As soon as I opened the door she woke up and I barely beat her to him. As I grabbed her he flutter-hopped away. I snatched him up, opened the step stool, climbed up to put him back in the nest. He wouldn't let me put him all the way in, he perched on the edge, but he had a good grip and I figured he'd be OK. His wings are fully feathered, he's just missing the longer feathers at the tip of the wing and on his tail to be able to fly. They'll be ready to leave the nest within a week or so, I think.

Mama kingbird was sitting on the fence, watching the rescue. Apparently she didn't mind that her baby smelled like me; she flew to the nest and fed him, so I guess he's going to be OK. Then she flew over to the phone cable by the kitchen window and 'talked' to me. I don't know whether she was thanking me for saving her baby, or scolding me for touching him. Cheeky little thing.

No comments: