Friday, May 25, 2007

Oh Heck, What's One More?

The tomato snitcher's family moved last weekend. Last night around 9 pm my phone rang, it was the mom. "We moved, and we're not allowed to have dogs here. We took Lily (a treeing walker coonhound mix) to one of John's brothers' houses, and she was growling at them and howling. They took her to one of John's other brothers, but she doesn't get along with his female dog. John's out of town working and won't be home until Sunday morning, and I don't know what he's going to do about her, but she can't stay where she is. Can she come stay with you until John gets back? It would have to be tonight, she's got to go tonight."

*Sigh*. I'll make you a deal, I'll hang onto Lily until John makes other arrangements for her if he'll cut my grass. (I can cut my grass, I just can't pull the starter rope to get the mower started in the first place!) Shelly thought that was a fair trade, so she brought Lily over last night. I expect John to come Sunday afternoon or Monday to cut my grass.

He's probably not going to be able to find a placement for her, I'm probably going to end up trying to place her. Which means one more spay I've got to find funds for. *sigh again* And Lily needs some work before she's placeable, just basic obedience and socializing, but it's going to take a while. So I've got her all set up out in the family room, next to Simon. At least they'll have each other for company, and they're far enough away that any barking/howling during the night won't keep me awake.

Irenie's still pregnant. Still lounging around, grooming herself, napping, asking for belly rubs. She hasn't eaten much in the last 48 hours, only about 1/4 of the dry food she'd have normally eaten in 48 hours, plus some yogurt (twice) and about 1/4 can of wet food. The kittens are either sleeping or jumping around like crazy. They're going to kick their way right out of there if she doesn't go into labor soon!

I had to run out to the store and the lumber yard briefly this morning, on my way back I stopped at a yard sale. Bought a small deco-style glass-shaded lamp ($3), a nice size rectangular tupperware container (25 cents) and - the jackpot - 14 melamine bread plates, the whole lot for a quarter. They're the perfect size for a can of cat food, they're unbreakable, they're dishwasher-safe, they won't blow away easily, and they're disinfect-able (unlike plastic dishes). It's a pretty sad state of affairs when I get such a kick out of acquiring some used melamine plates.

Happy Homeowner Day, Tammy! Congratulations on owning your first home, I wish you many happy years and scads of pleasant memories to come!

No comments: